在欧洲人定居之前, 中西部的生态系统受到周期性火灾的影响, 被印第安人或雷击点燃. 原产于中西部大草原的植物, 林地, 湿地适应了火灾，甚至从中受益. Fire serves to rejuvenate and strengthen native habitats by recycling nutrients back into the system and promoting flower, 种子, 水果生产. Fire also helps to kill off plants not adapted to survive fire that might take over an ecosystem if not controlled. 不幸的是, these periodic fires have been all but eliminated in the Midwest in the last 150 years.
Restoration specialists at 葡京会官方版网站 recognize the importance of periodic fire and reintroduce fire in the form prescribed burnings. Prescribed burns in Illinois and Wisconsin are set intentionally after considering the safety of people and property, 理想的天气条件, wind direction and smoke management and are confined to a predetermined area. Our staff are specially trained and certified to conduct prescribed burns in Illinois and Wisconsin and consider safety to be their number one priority.
当地的草和野花适应了火灾. They have deep root systems that can grow several feet underground where the heat of the fire does not reach. 这使得这些植物在火灾事件后再次蓬勃发展, taking advantage of the fresh nutrients introduced back into the soil to grow back stronger. This allows them to outcompete non-native weed populations and prevent them from taking over.
Many native trees such as oaks and hickories have evolved adaptations to protect them from fire injuries such as thick bark. Other species of trees cannot germinate until their 种子s are exposed to the heat generated by fire. Prescribed fire in 林地 is especially important for the reestablishment of our oak ecosystems that used to dominate our landscape.
It should be noted that prescribed fire does not kill all invasive plant species but it does make management efforts easier. 通过烧掉谷壳, 它更容易找到像芦苇金丝雀草这样的目标物种, 用除草剂处理或用手除去蓟和毛茛. Not to mention that the blackened landscape attracts more sun and gives desired plant species a head start when burns are done in the Spring!
Prescribed burns are usually conducted in spring or fall when wildlife is in hibernation or have migrated from the area. 在伊利诺斯州和威斯康星州, the spring burn season is longer than the fall season and typically takes place between early March and mid-April, 取决于雪的情况. Fall burns normally start in November following the first heavy frost and can continue until it snows. Every situation is different and so we always take site-specific conditions and the needs of the client into consideration when deciding when to burn.
- Prescribed burnings require state and local permits which 葡京会官方版网站 secures on behalf of the landowner. These permits can take up to 120 days and so planning for the burn is very important.
- All 葡京会官方版网站 staff participating in controlled burns have received special training, 其中包括学习火灾行为, 点火方法, 灭火, proper use of equipment and safety measures for properly managing fire.
- A written burn plan approved by a certified Burn Manager is developed for each individual site prior to the onset of the burn. 它识别控制线, 潜在危险, 天气状况和管理目标.
- We make every reasonable attempt to notify all potentially impacted neighbors of the date and time of the prescribed burn.
- 葡京会官方版网站 will notify the local fire department and emergency dispatchers on the day of the burn.
- The Burn Manager and team follow the instructions outlined in the site-specific burn plan.
- Firebreaks are established to contain the fire to the predetermined area.
- 召开点火前会议，讨论点火计划, 天气状况, 水源, 还有逃生路线.
- 背燃点火开始. A backburn is a fire that moves against the direction of the wind (example: if the wind is coming from the Northwest, 火点将在东南方向). 这就形成了一条“黑线”.“黑线是燃烧物质的区域. As the backburn progresses, vegetation is consumed, and the area turns black. The wider the blackline, the lower the chance is for an escape outside of your burn breaks.
- Once a sufficient blackline has been achieved, headfirst ignition begins. A head fire is a fire that moves in the direction of the wind (example: if the wind is coming from the Northwest, 头部点火点将在西北). A head fire consumes the remaining unburned vegetation between the crew and the already established blackline.
- All smoldering material is extinguished with the use of backpack sprayers and/or utility terrain vehicles mounted with tank sprayers.
- A post-burn meeting is conducted to discuss the burn and thank the crew.
- 虽然我们的目标会随着场地的不同而改变, we typically look to burn at least 70% (50% can be reasonable for 湿地s) of the targeted area. 在某些情况下, we will burn a portion of a site one year and the remainder the following year to allow for the movement of wildlife.
- 在春天的两到三周内, 草原植物会发芽，长得更高, 更有活力的, 而且通常还有更多的花.
- 在森林地面上进行规定的焚烧, 第二年春天野花通常更茂盛. 如果你仔细观察, 你可能会看到有火的迹象, 比如稍微烧焦的倒下的木头, 但总的来说, 燃烧使森林和草原更绿更美.
- 规定的烧伤暴露非本地, invasive plant species making them easier to treat with herbicide or pull by hand.
任何火灾如果不加以控制都会很危险. 通过培训和经验, 葡京会官方版网站’s controlled burn crews can anticipate problems and take actions as necessary to ensure a safe prescribed burn.
葡京会官方网站app Us Today to Schedule a Prescribed Burn in Illinois or Wisconsin
Interested in learning more information about our prescribed burns or looking for other holistic strategies to care for your environment? 立即葡京会官方版网站! 我们很乐意帮助您改善您的湖泊的美丽和健康, 池塘, 湿地, 林地, 或草原.